Monday, June 27, 2011

I AM L.A.

From fashion, and advertising to writing and marketing.  The “I AM L.A.” shirt was a means of translating a new message in a simple way.  That was my Coca-Cola bottle.

   I AM L.A. started off as a T-shirt concept that I had come up with, and had decided to get a sample made.  The concept was fairly simple.  It was a take on the “I ♥ NY shirt that’s synonymous with New York Pizza, riding subway trains, and the flashing lights in time square.  It’s a signifier.  Except I would complete the I AM L.A. concept, by replacing the heart with “AM”  It was suppose to be a concept shirt that brought all Los Angeles natives together, no matter what nationality or gender.  Its message was simple, and precise, and it spoke volumes.  It also was something completely new and unique.

   About a week later NBC Universal stared running “I AM L.A.” commercials.  At first I didn’t know how to react.  To be super excited, and I was, or to be completely discouraged.  I mean to have a mainstream network run one of my ideas in its entirety was amazing.  I was so excited that I couldn’t stop telling my mother, and grandma.  I thought I was on top of the world.  The commercials were visually stunning short interviews of Los Angeles natives stating which part of Los Angeles they lived in, followed by stating the slogan “I AM L.A.”  It captured regular people, to news anchors.  The interviews ranged from people of all different races from all different parts of Los Angeles, it was amazing.  I even know some of the people in the commercials.  But that was just the beginning.

   It was the night of the Oscars, and Jimmy Fallon was the host.  Ad space for the Oscars had to be well into the millions, and after about a month of the commercials running on television in Los Angeles, the “I AM L.A.” commercials were run during the Oscars, and it was then that I knew this was big.  As soon as I saw the commercial I started tweeting about it on twitter.  I think I tweeted throughout the whole awards ceremony.  It was the first year that some of the viewers tweets would be read by the host.  That’s when I knew that my “I AM L.A.” concept was seen from Los Angeles to New York.  In my eyes that was like receiving an Oscar in itself. Then the dream ended, and I woke up.  I was like I should be compensated for my work. Period. 

A LOT OF BROADWAY BUMS USED TO BE EXECUTIVES -basquiat


   I started tweeting about it, and was like, let’s arrange a meeting.  Shortly after they stopped running the commercials, and replaced it with “We are L.A.” and expanded into billboards, and advertising space on Metro buses. NBC Universal knew that I’d be coming for them, and having a kid from South Los Angeles going after them over a campaign that resonated so well with their audience, and all Angelinos wouldn’t sit right with executives.  I mean it was my idea, and it hadn’t even gone public yet.

   But essentially, it was the way I conceptualized things.  I use my left, and right brain. I’m as analytical, as I am creative, and I can see the end product, before it even goes into production.  I have a universal view, most times without bias, and conveniently it’s how I translate what’s in my mind.  From fashion, and advertising to writing and marketing.  The I AM L.A. shirt was a means of translating a new message in a simple way.  That was my Coca-Cola bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment